Tandvårdsskadeförbundet, Tf (the Swedish association for patients with ill health associated with dental materials etc.) has together with Prof. Ulf Lindh of Uppsala university in Sweden recognised a need for an international gathering of experts in the fields of metal biology and geology to come together to present the developments of the research field and current projects. Together, they have taken the initiative for a conference about metal detoxification.
The first Metdetox Conference took place in Berlin June 2019 and lead to fruitful discussions about future metal detoxification projects together with scientists and practitioners.
Themes of focus at the first conference in Berlin
- Biological mechanisms of the toxicity of metals such as mercury, lead, arsenic, aluminium, and cadmium.
- Medical geology and metals in the environment – the relationship between natural geological factors and their effects on human health. What is the collective burden today of human-made sources of metals in the environment, and what can be done to reduce it?
- Mechanisms of detoxification agents – the mechanisms of which drugs and other detoxification agents remove metals from the body.
- Natural agents and supplementation for metal detoxification – what alternatives are there to the classical drugs? What supplements and/or herbals have shown effect? What are their mechanisms of action?
- Nutrition as a supportive measure for metal detoxification – how can nutrients and/or specific diets be used to improve clinical outcomes by supporting specific cellular detoxification pathways?
- Genetic considerations in metal detoxification – what genetic variants affect a person’s ability to detoxify and excrete metals? Is DNA testing advised prior to treatment to identify susceptible individuals?
- Clinical application of detoxification agents – what are the experiences of clinically active practitioners? Agents used, dosing, success rates, complexity & considerations. Presentation of patient case studies.
- Testing for metal toxicity – pros and cons of testing in urine, blood, faeces, CSF, hair, or nails. Is challenged or unchallenged testing superior? Testing instruments and technical considerations.
As a result of the information conveyed during the conference and what is known in the scientific literature we will aim to establish research centers for detoxification in cooperation with existing clinics. A second aim is to inform the public about the burden of heavy metals from food, soil, water and air derived from natural sources or pollution.
We also plan a new conference hopefully in 2021. A new scientific committee responsible for the new conference will be organised by Tf and professor Lindh. More information will come soon.